A strong, loving and lifelong relationship doesn’t happen by chance. It takes effort and dedication to keep the fun and romance alive. We can all learn how to make even the happiest marriage better. The Marriage Course is for any couple, whether you have been together for one year or 61 years and whether you feel you have a strong relationship or are struggling.
If you have a strong marriage this course will help you make it even better and will reinforce your good habits.
If on the other hand your marriage is in difficulty, the course will help provide you with very practical tools to help you work through the issues. Some couples who are separated have used the course as a way of trying to get back together.
Whatever your situation, the practical tools you learn will help improve and strengthen your relationship.
The aim of The Marriage Course is to help couples grow closer and build a healthy relationship that will last a lifetime. You will discover practical tools to help you:
- understand each other’s needs
- communicate more effectively
- grow closer through resolving conflict
- heal the ways you’ve hurt each other
- recognize how your upbringing affects your relationship
- improve relationships with parents and in-laws
- develop greater sexual intimacy
- discover each other’s love languages and much, much more!
The course takes place over seven weeks and each session includes:
- Refreshments & Snacks - you can chat to the other participating couples or just use the time to talk to each other.
- Practical talks that are informative and fun, played on DVD. They include filmed clips of couples sharing their own experiences and street interviews from around the world.
- Private discussion time as a couple. You will be given topics to discuss (sometimes with the help of an exercise). Music is played so you can’t hear other couples and they can’t hear you!
- No group work, so relax - you will not have to share anything about your relationship with anyone else.
- Homework - at the end of each session you are given some homework to do together. This will help you to build on what you have learnt and give you the opportunity to apply it to your relationship. Don't worry - it isn't looked at by anyone else and is just for your own benefit.
Session Topics 1. Building Strong Foundations: This session helps couples to look at their lifestyle and its effect upon their marriage, and to discover more about each other’s needs and desires – particularly on an emotional level.
2. The Art of Communication: Listening is a vital skill for a strong marriage. In this session, couples practise communicating their feelings and listening effectively to one another.
3. Resolving Conflict: In this session we look at how couples can increase their intimacy by expressing appreciation to each other, recognizing their differences, learning to negotiate disagreements and praying for each other (if they feel comfortable doing so).
4. The Power of Forgiveness: This session addresses the ways we will inevitably have hurt each other and how to resolve these so we don’t create a backlog of anger and resentment. We look at the process of healing through identifying the hurt, saying sorry and forgiving.
5. The Impact of Family – Past and Present: This session focuses on helping couples to recognize how their family background affects the way they relate to each other. They also consider how to build a good and healthy relationship with their parents, in-laws and wider family, and how hurt from childhood can be healed.
6. Good Sex: Sexual intimacy needs to be worked at and developed. It isn’t just the icing on the cake - it’s a vital ingredient of the cake itself. In this session couples are encouraged to talk about their sexual relationship and to recognize where they need to make changes.
7. Love in Action: This session looks at five ways of expressing love – through words, time, touch, presents and actions. Couples discover which expression of love is most important for their partner and how to put this into practice.